A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

COMM 337: Schedule of assignments - with *UPDATES*

Writing assignments: (1) This week your feature stories are due. (2) For final exams, I will assign a self-reflective essay. You can write it out of class and turn it in to me by the time of the final.

Assiganed reading: For Thursday, Dec. 1, read Chapter 10, "Working with an Editor," in the Writer's Digest Handbook. We will look at blogs and concentrate on getting your blogs in shape during the last week of classes. Semester ends Dec. 10 (our last class is Thursday, Dec. 8).

WATCH THIS SPACE. I will post updates to the assignment schedule here.

2 comments:

Pete said...

If you know of blogs that someone has used effectively in a workplace setting - for example to promote a business or put up research notes - copy and paste a link as a comment to this item in the Mackerel Wrapper.

Kaitlyn Keen said...

I personally don't know of any specific blog sites that have been used in the business field, however I found some that have been used for research tools:

http://dukeresearch.blogspot.com/

http://www.child-psych.org/

http://research.pandasecurity.com/

-Nothing that is overly interesting, but proof that blogs are a successful tool in any type of business, research, or career. The more ideas in one area, the better!

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.