A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

COMM 150 and 337: Pepper spray photographer's professional attitude ... and one of Doc's tangents on the marketplace of ideas

In all the reams of commentary about the incident in which a campus policeman pepper-sprayed student protesters, one comment that stands out came from a local television cameraman who covered the protest for Channel 13 in Sacramento. In an interview with Skye Kinkade of the Mount Shasta (Calif.) News, camera operator Dennis Marin was asked his opinion of the pepper-spraying Nov. 18 at the University of California Davis. Very properly, he didn't go there. Kincade reported:
Though he witnessed the entire incident, Marin said he doesn’t have an opinion one way or the other.

“As a photojournalist I observe, capture, and let my camera and the images do the talking for me,” Marin said. “I believe people can draw their own conclusion from the video. I will say this, however. In covering other protests during my career (Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, Redwood Summer protests in Eureka, and the blockade protest at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant) I have seen much more intense situations as well as a lot less.”
Which makes him one of the few people anywhere who don't have an opinion about it.

What specific provisions of the Code of Ethics of the Society of Professional Journalists would apply here?

Kinkade said Marin has been a photojournalist for 35 years. He graduated from College of the Siskiyous in 1974, then transferred to San Jose State where he got a degree in broadcast journalism. He worked for an NBC affiliate in Fresno for seven years before moving to the CBS Sacramento affiliate CBS13.

Tangent (or is it really a tangent)? A few weeks ago in COMM 337, we talked about journalism ethics and the marketplace of ideas (permalink here for Nov. 15 post). And in COMM 150 we're starting to look at the Public Relations Society of America's code of ethics. Would civil disobedience - i.e. deliberately disobeying a law in an effort to get it changed - ever be justified for a public relations professional? If so, what kind of law? Under what circumstances?

8 comments:

MSenger said...

http://macyoungsmusings.blogspot.com/

I thought you might be interested in this response to the pepper spray cop. I found it insightful.

Pete said...

Thanks, Mary. I Googled Marc MacYoung and learned he's a martial arts/self defense expert who's worked as a bouncer and a prison warden, among other things! All of which gives him a interesting perspective, plus a real been-there-done-that kind of authority. I'm pretty familiar with the legal issues involved, and he does a very good job of outlining them.

My own perspective is from having covered antiwar demonstrations at the Rock Island Arsenal in the 1980s. A lot of the protesters were from a Catholic Workers House, and they'd quote St. Thomas Aquinas to me ... said they were bound by "natural law" or a "higher law" instead of the statutes on obstructing traffic, trespassing, etc. But they knew they were in violating of the laws of Illinois or Iowa (whichever side of the river they were on at the moment), and they fully expected to be arrested.

They'd make their speeches about higher law in court, pay their fine and go on to planning the next protest. I don't remember tear gas ever being used on them, though. They were well trained in passive resistance techniques (a lot of what I know about Gandhi I first learned from them), and they'd just go limp when the cops came up to get them off the sidewalk and save their commentary for press availabilities later.

The Wikipedia article on Civil Disobedience at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience has a pretty good outline of what a well-trained protester is thinking. Or ought to be thinking. I agree with MacYoung that a lot of the commentary on the blogsphere isn't particularly well informed - but is it ever?

Haley said...

Hey I have a quick question. Does the paper have to be turned in in class tomorrow or can we just have it e-mailed to sometime tomorrow?
see you in the morning! :-)

Pete said...

@ Haley -

Either way is fine with me. Best to give me a hard copy *and* email a backup, but you can email me Friday and let me have the hard copy Monday.

Kaitlyn Keen said...

It would take a very brave individual (disobedient) to perform wrong doings, however I do think it could be justified if it was done in hopes of a good outcome. Its hard to think of a specific situation or specific circumstances in which it could be justified, but I believe its possible.

L.Sullivan said...

All four would apply. He sought the truth and reported it for Channel 13 in Sacramento. By not giving an opinion he is minimizing harm (not placing blame) on any one (protesters or police). Yet he lets everyone know this is his work and no one else. Acting independently and being held Accountable.

I am not one that really thinks doing wrong is ever justifiable, however, I am open if anyone have examples. I myself cannot think of any.

MHovey said...

I think that Dennis Marin was demonstrating 2 of the SPJ code of ethics. He was both minimizing harm for the policeman and also acting independently by not taking sides.

CVanDyke said...

I think that the photojournalist did exactly what should be done in this situation. It is not his place to spread blame or support in this situation. If he was around his friends or family, that would be the time to dish his opinion. Not when asked in a professional situation. I believe that the code of ethics should always be followed (with very few exceptions).

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.