A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Steve Jobs, Feb. 24, 1955 – Oct. 5, 2011

Rather than try to pontificate, I'll just link to today's Google home page at http://www.google.com/. And to an article in PC World that explains it. Says Chloe Albanesius:
... when Apple co-founder Steve Jobs passed away yesterday, Google put differences aside and added a direct link to Apple's tribute on the Google.com homepage.

Beneath its search bar, Google posted: "Steve Jobs 1955-2011," which links directly to Apple.com.
That's it. None of the clever graphics we usually see on Google's homepage. Just the link. In body type (regular size type), centered below the logo and the search engine with nothing to draw attention to it. No bells. No whistles. Sometimes, as a famous artist once said, less is more.

Anything more on Google's part would have been superfluous. So would anything more on my part in this blog.

Other than, perhaps, one small footnote: Jobs, and Apple, certainly changed my world. Before the 1980s, for most of us, computers were big clunky things in ceiling-high metal cabinets set off in an air-conditioned room at work. My first home computer was an Apple II+ - still clunky but small enough to set up on a desk top - and I bought it because Steve Jobs and Apple had the foresight to give away Apple computers to the local schools. The idea was to develop a generation of home computer users, and it worked. One reason I bought an Apple II in 1982 was because my friends taught in the county schools down home and we could exchange files on floppy disks. (Email, blogs and social networking came much later.) In a small way it demonstrates one of the oldest ideas in business: If you want to develop a market for your product, give away samples. You can do pretty darn well by doing good.

In addition to everything else he is being remembered for today, Steve Jobs was a marketing genius.

This is not a tangent. Next week we'll go over Chapter 7 in Vivian on new media. As sort of a segue, let's find out what Jobs' role was at Walt Disney Co. one of the media conglomorates we'll track during class Friday.

This isn't a tangent, either. In broadcast media jargon, a "segue" (pronounced seg-way) is a transition from one segment of a show to another. Originally, it was a musical riff that led from one scene, act or song to the next one.

2 comments:

Kaitlyn Keen said...

Steve Jobs changed my world as well. Although I have unfortunately never owned an Apple computer, I was blessed to be introduced to the iPod. This portable music device gave me all the motivation I needed in several different areas in my life.

Kris10 said...

Steve Jobs has changed lives around the world with his apple creations. From computers to iphones, ipods, ipads, etc he was a genius. The technology is outstanding and has helped the world navigate and have more in common than it ever has.

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.