A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

COMM 337: Free-lance markets - who's going to buy what we're selling

Now that we've all got story ideas, let's see who's buying what we're selling. The standard source for many years has been Writers Market, an annual publication that lists thousands of magazines, contests (especially for literary writing) and other outlets. It's expensive, although not as expensive as most college textbooks ... its website has more information, although most of it seems to be behind a subscription paywall. The print edition, which should be available in most libraries, carries very good articles on the basics of the craft - including how much to charge for editorial services and how to write a query letter. I recommend it if you're serious about freelance writing.

There are also free sources of information on the World Wide Web. One that I like is the Directory of Writers' Markets on the All Freelance Writing website.

(One of Doc's tangents: Did you notice that apostrophe? It's in the right place. After the "s" in "Writers'." Wow! That tells me they're pros, because nobody else ever gets apostrophes right. I started noticing apostrophes when the city editor at the newspaper in Oak Ridge, Tenn., told me she always looked for apostrophes. She wasn't a college graduate - a lot of newspaper people weren't in those days - but apostrophes mattered to her. Like when she was looking at letters applying for a job at the paper. They're one sign of a professional writer.)

So here's your assignment. In class today:
  1. Go through the directory and see how many markets you can find for the story you're proposing to write for COMM 337. If there aren't any, you may need to refocus the topic. If there are too many, same thing. How could you change the story to appeal to different markets? Here's my point: You modify your story idea to fit what the markets are buying. It's even possible to interview somebody and develop a story for two different markets - for example, a story about the 100-man who ran a marathon in Toronto could be rewritten for Runner's World and a senior citizens' magazine.
  2. Post a comment reminding us what your story idea is and listing the potential markets you found for them.

7 comments:

Allie Cat 2007 said...

While gazing at the website, If ound many freelancing markets. There were at over six pages! One that stuck out to me was the Advanced Christian Writing segment. I would like to be a part of that since I am very religious and would like to deepen my Christian faith. And for my story comment, I am thinking of doing my feature article about agriculture or christian faith or freelance writing. I would like to investigate these topics and see which one I would like best.

Tbock said...

When looking on the web at what I could send my story into would be to either Entreprenuer Magazine or Cineaste. I think my feature article on Dean Williams would fit in well in here. With the Hollywood aspect and the Movie and photography of it.

Mike Timoney said...

I found several freeland markets that would be helpful to address with my story. Air and Space Smithsonian is one that would be interesting to market to. Aircraft Owners and Pilots association would be a very relevant one to cater to.
Midwest Living is another market that may be interested in such a story.

Kaitlyn Keen said...

I plan to interview my grandmother, Midge, who has lived in Springfield all 84 years of her life. Her birthday is actually coming up-the 31st of this month! I want to ask her what she thinks about Springfield, how has it changed over the decades, are the landmarks different, more or less tourists, and what would she have done as a mayor differently than all the mayors have done?

In the directory, there are several markets that would be interested in my story (I hope).
-AARP The Magazine
-Family Tree Magazine
-Midwest Living

I look forward to writing this story, and who knows- maybe it will get published someday. My grandmother would really like that!

C. Ushman said...

In freelancing magazines, there are many subjects that people can write about. It depends on what will make you money in the market. The Christain Writing is growing, but here in Illinois agricutural would sell more. It all depends on the audience of readers that the writer/s wants to talk to.

dave maziarz said...

the ine that caught my eye was cineaste. im still figuring out what specifically id like to write my feature article on, and it said in the description that they accepted feature articles

RSeaver said...

One of my topics was to interview a family friend who owns a busy. The only market I see on the list for this topic might be Entrepreneur Magazine.

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.