A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Monday, October 31, 2011

COMM 337: Assignments for this week ... (a) irony and (b) gathering information for an article (and no, I'm not being ironic by doing these together)

This week we will take up two related subjects, research and interviewing, and one that probably isn't, irony.

For Thursday and over the weekend, read Chapter 5, "Research," and Chapter 6, "Interviewing," in the "Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing." Today we'll discuss irony, which isn't so much a literary technique as it is a tone, along with Michael Lewis' articles on what he calls "economic disaster tourism."

First, a couple of definitions from Dictionary.com. First, the standard meaning:
1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2. Literature.
a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that whichis actually or ostensibly stated.
b. (especially in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expressionto contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., especially as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
Then we will read an example of irony, as sort of a warmup, and go on to examine Michael Lewis' articles. For convenient reference, I have linked here:
In groups, discuss and be ready to share your thoughts with the rest of the class ...

What are Lewis' strong points, what are his weak points? Try to come to a consensus, but you shouldn't feel like you have to agree on everything. Each of us will get something at least slightly different out of the assignment. Agree on what you can agree about, and agree to disagree on the rest.

Is Lewis, in your opinion, being ironic? Can you find examples to quote? Irony often backfires on writers. Does that ever happen to Lewis?

What can
you learn from Lewis that can help you in your own writing?

If you were writing a social-cultural-economic "travelog" like Lewis' of Springfield, how would you characterize the city? What would you write about? Who would you talk to? What do you think Lewis would find to write about if he were to visit Springfield?


For Thursday: Read Chapters 5 and 6 in the "Writer's Digest Handbook" on researching and interviewing. Notice how long the chapters are. Does this tell you anything about the complexity and relative importance of the two arts? two articles by Andrew Ferguson on the Slate.com website:

14 comments:

Pete said...

What can you learn from Lewis that can help you in your own writing?

If you were writing a social-cultural-economic "travelog" like Lewis' of Springfield, how would you characterize the city? What would you write about? Who would you talk to? What do you think Lewis would find to write about if he were to visit Springfield?

irdubbz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kris10 said...

I enjoy Lewis's level of energy he brings when he write. I also like his amusement he gets when he is with Arnold. I feel that i can use my own enthusisam in writing. If Lewis was to come to Springfield I feel like right now he can write about the Occupy Wall Street protest that is going on at the old capital building. Also maybe interview cops and politcians on how they feel we are ranked the
3rd worst city for crimes.

kdowis said...

I think that the most important thing to be learned from Lewis' writing is that humor can definitely add alot to your work but it also can take away for many readers. I don't think that censoring himself is the answer but its important to know whose feathers are going to be ruffled when something offcolor is said.

irdubbz said...

There is a balance that Lewis strikes between stats and style. As a journalist, he does well in relaying pertinent information, but with a flair that entertains and educates. This kind of writing may not be fit for a newspaper (yawn), but does well in other news mediums.

C. Ushman said...

Lewis is very basis and when he quotes he lets the people talk. I would diffenetly let the people of Springfield speak out about Lincoln in Springfield. The city of Springfiled revolves around Lincoln, and what he did do in the city before he left when he became President of the U.S. I would write about Lincoln and the history of the city of Springfield. Springfield, IL has a lot of history to it and some people would like now more about.

Tbock said...

Lewis is very descriptive in his wriitng, and makes sure to include all of the surrounding areas in what he is describing. He expalins the streets and surrounding areas in deep detail.
If I were to explain Springfield it would honestly vary on what areas I am describing, downtown is old and antique and a beautiful area to be in..during the day that is at night it is as beautiful but a little bit sketchy at times. I would write about the scenary and the history of Springfield, Abe Lincoln areas and what all he has done. I am sure Lewis would find alot to write about in Springfield more so possibly the Library and Museum and of course the Abraham Lincoln History!

RSeaver said...

A writer can learn to mix their own style with that of the news. You can add sarcasm or wit and still apply a serious message. I would write about the capital and reference political affairs and I would of course, write about the Lincoln tourist attractions and the historical aspects of the town.

Dylanh14 said...

What I have learned from Lewis is that the best writing comes from being upfront, honest, and stern. He doesnt suger coat anything and will occasional bash someone in the process.

I would say from an outsiders persepctive that Springfield has plenty of things to do, but if you live there well it is relatively boring. i would write about the ins and outs of the city, the attractions and historical point of view. I think Lewis would bash Springfield to be perfectly honest.

AdamP said...

Not only is he funny but he is a very effective and descriptive writer. He clearly gets his points across but he does this in a more interesting way then most writers. This is entertaining and educating at the same time.

Stacie Taylor said...

Lewis has a strong sense of style and tone. These qualities make it much easier to keep reading. This is something I always tell myself I need to work on. If I were to do a Lewis-style piece on Springfield I think that I would focus on the idea of the corruption that hides behind a proud history. I think Lewis's first target would be corrupt politics.

dave maziarz said...

i thought it waws pretty easy to read because lewis uses his sense of humor and overall, the article was very smooth. not often do i find it easy to read a whole piece but i thought this was very interesting

Kaitlyn Keen said...

Learning from Lewis is something we can all do. He is a conversational writer who uses an abundance of humor. I enjoy reading his work because he is so humorous. I think many readers probably feel the same way, and especially since he seems to focus on problematic cities. It is an easy focus at this time, and whether they are problematic or not, is up to nobody but the people who live in the cities. Lewis talks to the locals, does extensive research, and creates a story. I think he goes about his business very well, and I think I would really enjoy traveling as much as he does.

If I were going to write a "travelog" about Springfield, I would have very positive things to say. I am a proud 'born-and-raised' citizen of Springfield, and I think we have a beautiful city. I would probably focus on our scenery; the beauty of the different seasons and how distinct they are. I would write about our historical sites, definitely, and the history of them. I would interview a few locals, young and old. I would also try and talk to some local politicians to get their perspective about the city. As with any other city, unfortunately, we have some faults. One of them includes the political corruption we see, and I think Lewis would write about that. If he drove downtown, of course he would notice our devastation on the east side. I think that would raise attention, and be easy to write about. I think he would also touch on the historical sites we house in Springfield. Out of all the negative things he could find, there are so many more beautiful things about Springfield to write about.

Tyler Lewis said...

I learned from Lewis to have fun with writing and that incorporating honesty and humor into a story can only strengthen the piece and help the readers to relate to the writer.

I would choose downtown Springfield as my main focus and talk about the Lincoln sites and Museums and its growing popularity. I think Lewis would show respect to Springfield and its history but would also find a way to poke fun at some aspects of the culture.

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.