A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Monday, October 10, 2011

COMM 337: Link to my free-lance story in Dulcimer Sessions magazine, and an example of a query letter

In addition to teaching, I write free-lance articles. And a new story in the online magazine Mel Bay Dulcimer Sessions came out today. I wrote the story, and Mike Thomas of Springfield arranged the music. It's titled "'Children of the Heavenly Father' – A Swedish-American Hymn Arranged for Mountain Dulcimer, and it's available at http://dulcimersessions.com/?p=297 ...

Nice blurb on the homepage, too, by editor Lois Hornbostel:


A beautifully written article, music, mountain dulcimer tablature, and sound file from Peter Ellertsen and Michael Thomas on a lovely, historic Swedish-American hymn that plays beautifully on the mountain dulcimer – “Children of the Heavenly Father” from Jenny Lind.
In COMM 337, I'll walk you through the story and talk about the strategies I used writing it, the things that worked and some things that didn't.

Query. A query letter is a sales pitch - a document that's designed to get an editor interested in your story. They're designed to: (1) hook the editor's interest; (2) tell what the story's about; and (3) say why you're qualified to write it. We'll learn how to write queries later on this semester. In the meantime, here's the query letter I emailed in for this story:

Lois Hornbostel, Editor
Dulcimer Sessions

Dear Lois:

Along with the polkas, schottisches and waltzes Scandinavian-Americans have contributed to the mosiac of American music, is a rich heritage of chorales and beloved 19th-century gospel songs sung by a cappella choirs and congregations everywhere. In the early days, Swedish and Norwegian immigrants used a box zither in little churches out on the Midwestern prairies that couldn't yet afford an organ. The instrument, which is called a psalmodikon and looks a lot like a dulcimer, is enjoying a modest revival these days in connection with the Nordic roots music revival in the upper Midwest. And the songs, often set to catchy folk melodies, are perfect for the dulcimer. Attached for your consideration for publication in Dulcimer Sessions are an article and mountain dulcimer tablature for a popular Swedish hymn.

In a way, the story grows out of your ethnic music workshop at the Indiana Dulcimer Festival. It started me thinking more about the music of my Norwegian-American heritage, and I decided it would be fun to write an article the folks who read Dulcimer Sessions might enjoy. I'm an old newspaper guy, and now that I've retired from full-time teaching, I've been looking for more free-lance writing assignments. (My resume is available on my blog Hogfiddle at http://hogfiddle.blogspot.com/2010/05/resume.html). I've written for Dulcimer Players News and the EverythingDulcimer.com website, and I have several articles on music history in regional magazines in the Midwest.

Attached are: (1) a PDF file of mountain dulcimer tablature, arranged by Mike Thomas of our dulcimer club in Springfield, of a Swedish-American hymn called "Children of the Heavenly Father"; and (2) my 1,250-word article that tells about the song, the immigrants who sang it, their musical instruments and how different artists have interpreted it. At the end of the article are pictures taken this year at Swedish-American festivals in Bishop Hill, Illinois, and copies of 19th-century psalmodikon tablature and an 1894 choral arrangement showing the dynamics of "Children of the Heavenly Father." The pictures are mine, and the music is in the public domain. While the pictures are embedded in the attached Microsoft Word document, I can send you separate JPEG files in order to facilitate editing. I can also replace the HTML links in this draft with new ones that open in a separate window.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Pete

3 comments:

Kaitlyn Keen said...

In class you say, "Not a great story, but one that got into print." I just want you to know that I think it is more than a great story. The history, the facts, and the culture are all tied together to make the story a 'package deal.' I am now educated on the dulcimer and the music it makes. Thank you.

Stacie Taylor said...

Throughout reading the article, I found myself wishing I had access to YouTube so that I could hear a version of this song. The history was rich and enlightening—but what I really appreciated about this article was the analysis of the song itself. I like that there seemed to be a bit of experimenting with tunings in order to achieve the desired sound. The end of the article did a great job of writing about music—which is known to be about as tedious as “dancing about architecture.” It was also a surprise to find the sheet music at the end of the article. This article greatly appeals to amateur musicians seeking exploration in different genres of music.

Pete said...

@ Stacie - "dancing about architecture"

:)

- Doc

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.