A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Updates on kidnapped BBC correspondent

Alan Johnston, a correspondent for BBC News (the British Broadcasting Corp.), who abducted March 12 in Gaza, has been reported alive and in good health, although he is still being held, apparently by Palestinian militants.

The BBC has posted an online petition to its website and asks that weblogs consider demonstrating their support for Johnston, and the BBC, by linking to their website by pasting this button into their blogs:

Alan Johnston banner

I am more than happy to do so. And since The Mackerel Wrapper is a blog for journalism students, I highly recommend that you click on the button. It will take you to "a page on the BBC News website which has more information about Alan's situation and gives any of your blog's readers the chance to add their names to the petition."

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.