A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Monday, September 26, 2011

COMM 337 (optional for 150): Blogging a "virtual community"

As we read blogs and post our analyses [see assignment posted Sept. 21], we will look at several blogs in class. For starters, I'm linking to a local blog on Illinois politics and state government. It isn't the kind of journalism Don Murray discusses in "Writing on Deadline," but it has some lessons for us.

A virtual community, according to Wikipedia (which is authoritative for these kinds of things), is a "a social network of individuals who interact through specific media, potentially crossing geographical and political boundaries in order to pursue mutual interests or goals." Facebook and other social networking sites are the usual examples, and they're good ones. But an old-fashioned blog can also create a virtual community.

Witness the CapitolFax.com blog.

It's basically an online extension of Capitol Fax, a $350-a-year newsletter for Illinois politicians, government officials and lobbyists. Rich Miller, owner and operator of Capitol Fax, uses the blog to promote the newsletter by covering state government better than the commercial newspapers. Essentially he's giving away a sample of his product, and gaining a well-deserved reputation in the larger community as the guy to ask about Illinois statecraft, and it does wonders to promote his brand.

A unique feature of CapitolFax.com is the high quality of the comments. Many of Miller's subscribers are players in Illinois politics themselves, and some of them are very, very knowledgeable.

So after a while, you learn to go to Cap Fax to see what its readers have to say. They seldom disappoint.

On today's blog, Miller posted an obituary of Thomas Ryan, a former Republican powerhouse in Kankakee, onetime mayor of that city and older brother of former Gov. George Ryan. Miller, who grew up in Kankakee, added his own memories and asked readers, "Do you have any old-time political stories you’d like to share?"

Miller's old-time political story was about Tom Ryan's liquor store:

As a young kid, I was often sent to West Kankakee Liquors on Station Street for grownup supplies (times were different back then). The fastest way to the liquor store was through my grandma’s back yard, down the alley and in the back door, where I’d pass through a storage room. Old men would sit on cardboard cases of beer in that back room, drink, smoke and tell stories.

I loved walking through that room. ...
Miller added, "I talked to Mayor Ryan about that back room years ago when his younger brother George was still governor. He remembered it well. The room had apparently become an icon in his mind for the way things used to be and should have been."

About 20 readers shared memories. Here's one I like:

Jim Edgar was running for reelection for the 95 race. During the summer of 94 he came to Galesburg to campaign during the big Railroad Days celebration. We approached a food booth with home made cookies and pies. An elderly lady sat behind the table leaning on her cane. Edgar stuck out his hand and said,”Hi, I’m Jim Edgar, I’m running for reelction as your governor”. The old lady thought about it for a second and replied, “Are you boys gonna buy something or are you just messin around?”
And here's something else I noticed. George Ryan is still in federal prison, but the fact was hardly mentioned. And when it was, the tone wasn't snarky, "Condolences to the Ryan family. I can imagine they have had a hard road with the Governor’s on-going legal battles and the loss of [Gov. Ryan's late wife] Lura Lynn." Another thing I noticed - there wasn't as much about Republicans and Democrats as you see in other forums. Gov. Edgar's party, for example, wasn't mentioned. He's a Republican, but does that matter to the story?

My point: I think CapitolFax.com is a good example of a virtual community. But that didn't happen by accident. Its readers are political pros, who are inclined to respect each other across party lines after the votes are counted, but politics has always been a rough business. (You read about some of that, too, in the reminiscences.) So Miller puts considerable effort into moderating the comments. At the bottom of each post, he says:

All new commenters should click here before proceeding. Inappropriate or excessively rabid comments, gratuitous insults and "rumors" will be deleted or held for moderation. Profanity is absolutely not acceptable in any form. "Sock puppetry" is forbidden. All violators risk permanent banishment without warning and may be blocked from accessing this site. Also, please try to be a little bit original. [Boldface type and red letters in the original.]
A "sock puppet" refers to "the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock" and is defined in Wikipedia as "a false identity assumed by a member of an internet community." (It's different from a screen name, because it's designed to mislead.) The link is to a post in June of this year, when Miller said, "national politics brings out the crazy in people. And national political posts bring crazy people to the blog." He asked, "What advice would regular commenters/readers give to newbie commenters here?"

There were 60 comments. They're all worth reading.

So read them (link here) and answer these questions:

  • How do the comments on Capitol Fax compare to the comments in other blogs or online forums you read?

  • Which words of wisdom or advice to commenters would you like to see adhered to on other blogs? Quote a couple (show me you read 'em). How would you handle comments on your blog?

  • How would the tone of political discourse in the U.S. be different if commentary on national politics followed the same civility guidelines as Cap Fax?
Post your answers as comments to this blog item.


LATER: More evidence of virtual community. This tongue-in-cheek exchange took place in the comments on a linked Springfield restaurant item later in the afternoon:
- Cheryl44 - Monday, Sep 26, 11 @ 4:07 pm:
What’s a horseshoe?

- Michelle Flaherty - Monday, Sep 26, 11 @ 4:31 pm:
For that Cheryl44 should be banned [from commenting] for life.

- Rich Miller - Monday, Sep 26, 11 @ 4:39 pm:
I don’t even know why it was asked?

- Cheryl44 - Monday, Sep 26, 11 @ 4:43 pm:
Because I don’t live in Springpatch and I don’t know of a restaurant in Chicago that serves them. I could look it up, but I prefer asking you guys. You’re the experts, not Wikipedia.

- Rich Miller - Monday, Sep 26, 11 @ 4:44 pm:
Toast, meat, french fries, cheese sauce.

You had to be there.

- Cheryl44 - Monday, Sep 26, 11 @ 4:46 pm:
Thanks. That sounds…delicious. Yeah, that’s it.

5 comments:

Mike Timoney said...

The comments in Capitol Fax are much more tame than those on other blogs. It seems that commentors make an effort to want to maintain the integrity of their screenname. However, I feel that this sacrifices diversity of opinion and true objectivity,

"Smart and funny posts are best.
If you can’t be funny, be smart.
If you can’t be smart, be funny.
If you can’t be smart or funny, please reconsider your decision to post."

I believe the power that comment sections have of truly showing the attitude of the nation would diminish if most national blogs took up this practice.

Kaitlyn Keen said...

The comments posted on Capitol Fax are low-key. They are not meant to be all that objective. I think, by reading only this post, very few people could be offended. I don't think the owner of Capitol Fax wants any controversy. I like this about the blog, however I agree with Mike that it makes room for little diversity. I do like that some people use humor in posting their comments. (Humor is always good.)

"Differing opinions are welcome here. Trash talking, personal attacks, regurgetated talking points, general incivility and dissing double amputees are not. And there’s only one sheriff in town." (HUMOR)

"Behave as gentlemen, or ladies." (SLIGHT HUMOR)

"Don’t believe everything you think. " Very interesting...I never thought about this..?

How would I handle comments on my blog? I like diversity. I like to get people a little wound up. Not too much tho. I think as long as comments aren't offensive to a person's culture, religion, or lifestyle I would allow them. I probably wouldn't allow profanity or vulgar/crude comments.

If national politics and politicians kept some sort of civility and respect for other parties, I think that we would see a lot more truth. I say this because each wouldn't be as worried about pointing their finger and finding the bad in the other. If every body focused on themselves, and their own goals, I think we would see more plain facts.

Pete said...

Thanks for posting, guys. I do keep track of who posts, especially on items like this that we didn't get around to in class, and I appreciate your initiative!

I think one reason the comments on CapFax are less nasty and personal than on national blogs is that a lot of these people know each other - i.e. they have a pretty good idea who's who behind the screen name - and they need to work with each other. They'll have to make compromises with their political enemies sooner or later to get a bill passed, and they don't want to put that at risk with a lot of name calling. That's in the nature of legislatures.

@ Kaitlyn "Don’t believe everything you think." I like that one, too!

A long time ago I figured out that whenever I start insisting I'm 100% sure of something, that's when I'd better take a deep breath and entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe I might be wrong. It's saved me a lot of embarrassment over the years!

- Doc

Kris10 said...

The posted comments on Capitol Fax are more matured answers than one would see on other blog posts. For instance on other posts people make up a name they wish for no one to know them by if they plan to make a rude or inappropriate comment. I like the quote mike put about the smart and funny posts are the best. Who wants to read something thats down grading and dim witted? Not many people.

Tyler Lewis said...

The comments on Capitol Fax are much more formal than most standard blogs. I believe Capitol Fax's objective is to provide a distinguished forum for public to interact and share information on selected issues with little objectivity. Sometimes the comment section on blogs is more harmful than helpful. Comments from some people are vulgar and often stray away from the topic at hand. Blogs like this are intended to promote low key discussions.

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.