A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Monday, August 24, 2009

COMM 207 -- first day, etc. -- add 1

This will affect Thursday's assignment. We'll also talk about it in class when we get time, either Tuesday or Thursday ...

Slate.com, the online magazine started by Microsoft Corp. and now part of the same media conglomorate that owns The Washington Post and Newsweek, now has a news *aggragator called "The Slatest" (a play on words mashing up "Slate" and "latest"). They explain how it works in today's edition.

Here's how I want to use it. Chapter 1 in our textbook, which was already assigned, talks about how local, regional and nationally oriented newspapers in California handled a typical news day when the book was being written. But it came out in 2005, and the world has changed since then. So let's hope Wednesday is a typical news day and compare today's news with what was in the papers five years ago as it was captured in our textbook.

_________________
* Probably you already know this, but an "aggragator" is defined in Wikipedia like this: "In general internet terms, a news aggregation website is a website where headlines are collected, usually manually, by the website owner." Somebody once said there are two types of blogs: (1) linkers; and (2) thinkers. Aggragators are the linkers.

Two other points:
  • Journalism, the whole communications industry, in fact, is full of jargon. You'd think professional communicators wouldn't use use words people don't know. But you'd be wrong. When I come across jargon in the class blog, especially at first, I'll star it with an asterisk and define it in a footnote.
  • If you're a grizzled veteran of my classes, you already know this, too. But if you're not and if you've had teachers who wouldn't let you use Wikipedia, you should know this: I use Wikipedia all the time, I think it's more reliable than other encyclopedias. I just try to be careful when I use it. Wikipedia is part of that changing world, I guess.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.