A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

If you're curious about jobs, free-lancing, how to tailor your resume, editorial careers, etc., check out Ed 2010 website

It's called Ed 2010 ... that's "Ed" like in Ed, a guy's name, or ed., the abbreviation for editorial. "Ed2010," according to its website at http://www.ed2010.com/, "is a community of young magazine editors and magazine-editor wannabes who want to learn more about the industry so we can fulfill our dreams of landing top editing and writing positions in the magazine industry."

How cool can that be? Well, actually, I don't know for sure. But I Googled into their website when I was looking for a definition to put in our class blog. Ed's blurb for the glossary:
FOB’s and BOB’s and TOC’s, oh my! Here are all the terms to know so you’ll be able to talk the talk.
If you don't know what a blurb is in a magazine, look in the glossary. It'll tell you. I'd never heard of Ed 2010 before, but the glossary is kosher. At least, the definitions match what I've heard in the business. The tips on how to write a resume were pretty sound, too, especially strategies like listing your education last that you'll need to start using as you get away from academic life.

Ed 2010 is like any other website you surf into. Check it out. See what you think. Be careful. (My instinct is to keep reading till somebody asks me to spend money on something, and then I'm out of there.) But it has some information I think you'll find useful.

Especially that glossary at http://www.ed2010.com/resources/glossary. Bookmark it. We'll keep coming back to it. There's another one, but it's shorter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The glossary list is one of the most useful things I have read all semester, so far. Thanks

Pete said...

Cool! Thanks for posting, John. I'm usually pretty cynical about websites I just surfed into, but this one looks pretty good.

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.