A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

COMM 317: Kohlberg's stages on becoming a moral adult

Of all the material I've tracked down on Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development, the clearest and most thought-provoking I've seen is a PDF-format handout by Harry Coverston, who teaches humanities, religion and philosophy of law at the University of Central Florida.

We'll go over it in class, but here are some highlights:

  • Coverston adds a stage between conventional and postconventional morality, which he calls "the cynic." He calls it an "in-between stage market by egoism and skepticism, never able to completely leave behind conventional reasoning even after recognizing its inadequacies." I'm not sure I completely buy it, but it's worth thinking about.

  • Toward the end of his discussion, Coverston says something important (he puts it in blodface all-caps, and I think it's important enough I'll quote it in boldface all-caps): "IN STAGE DEVELOPMENT, MOVEMENT THROUGH THE STAGES IS EFFECTED WHEN CONGNITIVE DISEQUILIBRIUM IS CREATED, THAT IS, WHEN A PERSON'S COGNITIVE OUTLOOK IS NOT ADEQUATE TO COPE WITH A GIVEN MORAL DILEMMA." He explains, "The person who is growing, will look for more and more way adequate ways of solving problems. If he has no problems, no dilemmas, he is not likely to look for solutions. He will not grow morally. ... Life crises often present opportunities for moral development. These include loss of one's job, moving to another location, death of a significant other, unforeseen tragedies and disasters." Sad but true.

  • Criticisms of Kohlberg's theory. I'd take 'em with a grain of salt. I'd take Kohlberg with a grain of salt, too. Hell, I take myself with a grain of salt.

Especially useful ... Coverston has bumper-stricker slogans and/or character types, plus questions, for each of the six stages, uh, make that six and a half stages of development. They help me get some of the distinctions:

STAGE 1: PUNISHMENT AND OBEDIENCE: Bumper Sticker: Might Makes Right. Question(s): What must I do to avoid punishment? What can I do to force my will on others?

STAGE 2: INSTRUMENTAL EXCHANGE: Bumper Sticker: The Egoist. Question(s): What's in it for me? What must I do to avoid pain, gain pleasure?

STAGE 3: INTERPERSONAL (TRIBAL) CONFORMITY: Bumper Sticker: Good Boy/Good Girl. Question(s): What must I do to be seen as a good boy/girl (socially acceptable)?

STAGE 4: LAW AND ORDER (SOCIETAL CONFORMITY): Bumper Sticker: The Good Citizen. Question: What if everyone did that?

STAGE 4 ½: Bumper Sticker: The Cynic. Question: Why should I believe anything?

STAGE 5: PRIOR RIGHTS AND SOCIAL CONTRACT: Bumper Sticker: The Philosopher/King. Question: What is the just thing to do given all the circumstances? What will bring the most good to the largest number of people?

STAGE 6: UNIVERSAL ETHICAL PRINCIPLES: Bumper Sticker: The Prophet/Messiah. Questions: What will foster life in its fullest for all living beings? What is justice for all?

What do these bumper stickers and questions remind you of? I hear echoes of Kant and John Stuart Mill, not to mention the bodhisattvas of Buddhist thought.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.