A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

'Who was that lady ...?'

Does President Bush have a future as a stand-up comic? Or, more accurately, as a straight man? Russia's president Vladimir Putin has never struck me as a wild and crazy guy, but at this weekend's G-8 conference in St. Petersburg, Bush set him up for the perfect one-liner.

Bush's golden moment - or Putin's - came in a news conference after the two had a one-on-one talk Saturday. The gag line came down just like the old vaudeville saw:
Q. Who was that lady I saw you with last night?
A.That was no lady, it was my wife!
Aud.Yuk yuk yuk!
So instead of Abbott and Costello, we get Bush and Putin. Here's how they set up the gag, as reported by The Observer, a Sunday paper affiliated with Britain's The Guardian and posted to the Guardian's website:
Bush said that, during two hours of discussions, 'I talked about my desire to promote institutional change in parts of the world like Iraq where there's a free press and free religion. I told [Putin] a lot of people in our country ... would hope that Russia would do the same thing. I fully understand, however, that there will be a Russian style of democracy.'

Putin replied, smiling: 'I'll be honest with you: we, of course, would not want to have a democracy like in Iraq.' Bush interrupted to say 'Just wait' - a reference to Iraq's democracy being in its infancy - before Putin continued: 'Nobody knows better than us how we can strengthen our own nation. But we know for sure that we cannot strengthen our nation without developing democratic institutions. And this is the path that we'll certainly take; but certainly we will do this by ourselves.'
I wouldn't presume to guess whether Bush's set-up was intentional or not, but it was a classic.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.