A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Friday, November 04, 2011

COMM 150: Draft question for documented essay due after Thanksgiving

D R A F T

Documented essay (5 to 8 pages). Due the week of Nov. 29-Dec. 2 (the week after Thanksgiving). It's like a term paper in that it is documented. But it's different in that I will give you a narrow question to focus on - more like what you see on an essay test - instead of choosing your own topic. I will revise the question, but is the gist of it so you can start getting ready for the paper now.

How are social media (sometimes hyped as Internet 2.0) changing the face of American culture? Consider entertainment, politics and government. What are the ethical implications, and how can media professionals overcome them?

Here's a link to last year's essay prompt. Your topic this year is more focused, so it'll be easier to write.

----------


Here's a Nov. 4 story in the Los Angeles Times on "Bank Transfer Day" that illustrates the trend.

By Stuart Pfeifer and E. Scott Reckard of the LA Times, it was headlined "One "Facebook post becomes national movement to abandon big banks." They said:
When Kristen Christian learned that Bank of America Corp. planned to charge her a $5 monthly debit card fee, she did what many people do these days when they get mad: She ranted on Facebook.

What followed was an illustration of the power of social media.

Her Facebook post urging friends to abandon big banks unwittingly blossomed into a national campaign. More than 75,000 people have pledged to participate in "Bank Transfer Day" by moving their money from large U.S. banks to nonprofit credit unions by Saturday, Christian said. ...
Why don't you read the rest of it? It'll give you ideas for the documented essay.

2 comments:

Haley said...

I am trying to send you my midterm but I did not save the email ad. you told us to email it to. And I did not see it on the syllabus. I tried to post it to one of these blogs but it said it was to long. Will bring a hard copy to class. But if you see this before tomorrow I wil email it to you asap.

-Thanks :-)

Pete said...

That'll work, Haley. I don't post my personal address because I don't want to get automated spam. That's why I put the address on the screen in class.

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.