A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

COMM 337: Profiles - Donald Murray and finding pleasure in the challenge of a blank piece of paper

Since you're going to write some profiles for Tuesday, I thought I'd put up a few so you can get a better idea of how they're written out in the world. Plus ... these aren't just random profiles. They're about Donald Murray, author of our textbook "Writing to Deadline."

The first is by Chip Scanlan, writing for the Poynter.org website (put up by the Poynter journalism foundation). Scanlan noted in his lede that Murray wrote his last column for The Boston Globe five days before his death at the age of 82 on Dec. 30, 2006. And he quoted that last column, which was almost eerie in its timing:
“Each time I sit down to write I don’t know if I can do it,” Murray wrote in [the column, headlined] “Finding Pleasure in the Challege of a Blank Sheet.” “The flow of writing is always a surprise and a challenge. Click the computer on and I am 17 again, wanting to write and not knowing if I can.”
Jack Driscoll, retired editor of The Boston Globe, wrote a tribute to Murray in January 2007 in Rye Reflections, a citizens journalism project in Rye, N.H. He combined lede, description, nut graf and a strong quote as he began his reminiscence. He started with a word picture:
My most vivid image of Don Murray is of him sitting outside a restaurant on a bench, wearing his customary chinos, head down, writing away in his daily journal — or maybe even drawing sketches. He is alone in his writer’s world as chatting customers pass him by.

He is early for our lunch, a monthly ritual the last dozen years (his late wife, Minnie Mae sometimes joined us, an honor). Prior to that we had been professional colleagues for several years, then just friends. It was a loss to me to learn of his sudden death at age 82 on December 30. But it was also a loss to thousands of others — former students he had in class and in dozens of seminars during his days as a professor, colleagues at the University of New Hampshire with whom he had long, close relationships, readers of his many books and of his weekly column in the Boston Globe, his morning breakfast group in Durham and so many more.

He was a magnificent writer. No, he was a magnificent teacher. Indeed, his writing was teaching.

“In writing about myself, I am writing about others,” Murray would say. He was tricking us into thinking we were absorbed in his memories, when in fact he was awakening our own stories.
Driscoll's tribute is worth reading in full - and bookmarking for future reference. Murray once shared a page from his daybook, or writer's journal, with some of his colleagues in New Hampshire. He wrote:
There are two glass patio doors to my right facing the woods, a window just to the left above my computer screen. The squirrel circus does not distract me when the writing flows. And it isn't just when I am at my computer. James Thurber once said, "I never quite know when I'm writing. Sometimes my wife comes up to me at a party and says, 'Damn it, Thurber, stop writing.' She usually catches me in the middle of a paragraph." I write in the car, across the dinner table from my wife, in front of the television, waiting on the bench at the front of the supermarket, visiting the doctor, waiting in line at the post office, watching my grandchildren play. I am in this life and in the other, writing.
That story of Thurber's is one of my favorites. It means he was always trying out words and combinations of words in his mind. He was writing. He was a writer. So was Murray. So, obviously, is Driscoll.

Murray sparked off lots of short, snappy quotes, like a roman candle. Driscoll calls them "one-liners." He quotes a good half dozen. And he ends his tribute with what I think is a perfect kicker:
His one-liners ring in my head. My favorite occurred the day I hired him as writing coach at the Globe when I was Editor there. He meandered across the cityroom and entered my office with the boast: “I know who three of your best writers are.”

I fell for the bait. “Who?”

“That woman there, that woman over there, and that man there.”

“OK,” I conceded. “You just pointed to three of our very best writers. How did you know?”

“Because,” he said, “their lips move when they write.”
Think about it. Their lips move because they're trying out the sound of the words. The best writing has the rhythm, the cadence of ordinary speech. And that doesn't happen by accident. We have to work for it. But that's a subject for another day.

Chip Scanlan wrote his first piece, the obit quoted above, on deadline the day Murray died. The following day, Dec. 31, he followed up with "An Appreciation of Don Murray: The Things He Gave" beginning with the day he first met Murray years before at The Providence (R.I.) Journal. Scanlan said "he taught me some of the most important things I know about life and writing," and shared them:
• Never be afraid to admit you’re human.
• It takes the greatest strength to admit you’re weak.
• It takes the greatest courage to admit you’re afraid.
• If a teacher asks a student to write, the teacher must write as well, for writing is the great leveler; students see that even the expert in front of the class struggles to make meaning with words. (Editors should do the same, at least a couple of times a year.)
• All writing is revision.
• When someone you love is sick, you become their caregiver, as he did during the long years of illness suffered by [Murray's wife] Minnie Mae before her death in 2005.
• For writers, professionalism – making deadlines, rewriting when the need arose — is everything.
• What you write is what you are capable of writing today.
• You are a writer by virtue of one action: you write.
What I like most about Don Murray's books about writing is that they're about more than writing. Like Scanlan says, they're "about life and writing." There are lots of good books on technique out there. [Check out Anne Lamott, too, and her explanation of how a "sh-tty first draft" helps overcome perfectionism in "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life."] There it is again. Writing. Life. How they fit together. The reason Murray's little green book won't go away in my journalistic writing class this semester isn't what he says about technique, although that's important. It's because I find so much wisdom in his attitude to writing - and to life.

16 comments:

Pete said...

1. What surprised you as you read this post? Specifically. Quote a few words, a sentence or two.

2. What did you read that you use in your career as a __________________ (e.g. student, professional writer, PR maven, whatever). Be specific. Quote ...

C. Ushman said...

1. Murray has some really good advise about writers and writing. The quotes made it feel like Murray was talking in front of you as you read this article.

2. I think the best advise the Murray gave was he said the best writers write with there lips. As you are saying something your lips moves along with your hand.

smcpherson said...

I think that Driscoll did an amazing job at painting a visual picture of Murray for his readers. I really liked the part of where Thurber quoted Murray about the one-liner regarding the best writers in the office. I think that there is some truth to moving your lips while you write, helping you to find words that mash up well. If I was going to take any of this to help me in my career, I would say that letting myself write whenever I wanted would help me out tremendously. I also think that the article about how a "shitty" draft can help you overcome perfectionism could also be very beneficial. Sometimes when writing I will write out pages, then end up throwing it all away. It would be way better to sit down and look at what I actually liked about what I had done, and taking that part of it revamping it to make it better. I think the article was great, and in so few words really showed what kind of man Murray was and what he was about.

Catch said...

That good writers' lips move when they type/ write. I'd never thought of that. I've seen it before, but never put the two together.

2) It takes the greatest strength to admit you're weak. Because I never want to ask for help.

Mike Timoney said...

1. What surprised me most was Murrays description as writing as magical, but not magic. “Writing may be magical,” Murray told us, “but it’s not magic. It’s a process, a rational series of decisions and steps that every writer makes and takes, no matter what the length, the deadline, even the genre.”

2. The best tip, in my opinion, is that Murray states that the best writing has rythm, the cadence of ordinary speech.

Tbock said...

1.)I think that this article had some great points and teh quotes are witty and fit in perfectly as if he is speaking straight to you. This is helpful as a potential writer to see the views and information of others before you.

The advise that was given was great on the writers write best with their lips. its true, because you talk and think of what you are writing and it helps to make sure it is all correct.

irdubbz said...

1. Beyond the power of the pen, the poignant Donald Murray reflects on humanity well beyond the writer's realm: “Never be afraid to admit you’re human”, “It takes the greatest strength to admit you’re weak”, and “It takes the greatest courage to admit you’re afraid”, sage advice, applicable to all.

2. To term what I do as a career would be an overstatement. Professional student, maybe? For that, I read what I am assigned. Regardless of the dull crap I am (oh so) often forced to choke down (like swallowing glass), I keep current with fitness trends, nutritional breakthroughs, and the like.

dave maziarz said...

1.)i think that what suprised me the most was how he said the thing about all writer's are insecure and about moving your lips while writing.
2.)the best career advice was that the more you age the more you have to write about because o all the experience you have gained, "At 64, I'm 19 years old when I write.”
I liked that quote in particular because as much success as he has had as a writer he still agnoligizes that he still is nervous and insecure about what he writes. its that kind of honesty that makes him a great teacher

kdowis said...

1.) The most interesting thing I learned from Murray's profile was that he would rather use the word "voice" instead of "style" to describe how a piece sounds. He said, "we should mean the voice of the text, not the voice of the writer...Voice is flavor, voice is the music of writing matching the meaning of the story.” I appreciate that he looks at words with emotion and that he considers good words the zest of life!

2.)"know tomorrow's writing task today." I love tht quote because it just shows that a good writer is always thinking about writing as a part of your daily process instead of as a chore.

2.)

irdubbz said...

Writing is teaching. Let's be honest, what we read we learn (regardless of the crap filling our libraries). Words facilitate knowledge. You are reading this. Therefore, as I write, I am getting ready to teach you. Once read, you are taught. Still with me? Maybe not ;)

John Driscoll wrote something similar regarding Murray:
"He was a magnificent writer. No, he was a magnificent teacher. Indeed, his writing was teaching."

If you are a writer, you are also a teacher.

RSeaver said...

1. "What you write is what you are capable of writing today." This surprised me. When I think about it, this seems to be true. Last night I had no problem typing out three quick papers for class. I think they were fairly well written. However, other days I can be more or less capable of writing well.

2. "All writing is revision." You should always read, reread, and read again.
"It means he was always trying out words and combinations of words in his mind."

Dylanh14 said...

1. Murray touched many peoples lives with his writing and teaching of writing. He made a special connection with all of his readers.

2. "Writing is one-on-one, not like TV announcing...” When you write, you can make a connection to a person more then TV can ever do. You can share more through writing then listening to someone talk.

chouse said...

1. "It takes the greatest strength to admit you’re weak." I appreciate this quote because it is true. It takes a lot of strenght and pride to admit your weakness.

2. There were a lot of great quotes that i believe i could use in my career to keep me motivated.

Kaitlyn Keen said...

1. I was surprised, even though I shouildn't have been, that Murray is not afraid of anything. More than that, writing is in everything he does. He doesn't designate a certain time of day to write. He even wrote at the dinner table with his wife (I can see where she would be a little bit frustrated).

2. As a student, and a creative writer, I love that he lives his life by the single phrase: “Nulla dies sine linea.” Never a day without a line.

I believe that if we all wrote our thoughts down on paper every day, we may be a little less stressed. I feel as though writing is therapeutic. Whether its a diary, notes about the day, or love notes to your spouse every day (HAHA!), writing is good for the mind and soul. I think that one can learn a lot about him/herself by writing and reading over past writings.

KristinJ said...

1. What surprised me the most his "Never be afraid to admit you’re human." Words are very important spoken or written. Sometimes words can be twisted or viewed in a different light, so the fact that he says its okay we are all human and bound to screw up at some point it interesting.
2.All writing is revision. This statement is so true in a writers world. We revise everything!

Tyler Lewis said...

“The flow of writing is always a surprise and a challenge. Click the computer on and I am 17 again, wanting to write and not knowing if I can.” This shows that Murray is still passionate about his writing. The fact that he still gets butterflies and anxiety everytime he begins a story shows that Murray is never complacent and expects greatness from himself. Every story is a new journey for Murray.

2.) "Never be afraid to admit you are human." One must realize that mistakes are part of life and must be used as learning tools. Everyone makes mistakes, obviously... the key is to embrace these mistakes and accept that we all fail at times.

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.