A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

COMM 209 (390, too): Notes and quotes

You've heard me talk about a reporter's scribble, and you've read about it Tim Harrower's "Inside Reporting." Well, here's what it looks like in action ... and how I would turn the scribble into printed copy.

When I got to Monday's "Game Show" event in the Angela Hall gym, I made a note of the time and did a quick crowd count. Both are second nature to me after 15 years of newspapering. Pavlov's dogs salivate, I count crowds.

Then I noticed Dean Broeckling sitting on the bleachers at the side of the gym, walked over, sat down and got out my notebook. I asked him something really obvious, something like what's going on here. He told me and I started taking notes. You see them at the left. (Click on pix to enlarge.) I used green ink because I'd been grading papers, and that was the only pen I had with me. But I prefer a No. 2 soft lead pencil, because that's what I write fastest with. Everyone is different; whatever works for you, works for you. As Kevin talked, I took down what he said, improvising something kind of like shorthand but less systematic.

I would write the conversation up like this:

Broeckling was asked the purpose of the event.

"It's an alcohol-drug education program right before spring break," he said. "We just wanted to make sure the students make educated and informed decisions when they're put in difficult situations."

"Spring break?" he was asked. "Is that a difficult situation?"

Broeckling paused for half a beat.

"Yes," he said.


A couple of things to note. I made up my shorthand as I went along, abbreviating everything, circling words I wanted to spell out (but using the same part of speech, i.e. "education" instead of "educational." If Kevin had said "educational," I would have written "ed'l" or something like that.) and using ditto marks for repeated words. Also, notice where I went back a couple of minutes later and rewrote words that were illegible. (Like "ed'd" for educated, still a made-up abbreviation but at least a legible one.) If I hadn't gone back and written over my worst scribbles, I would never have been able to read my own writing when it came time to write a story.

1 comment:

Lauren Burke said...

Wow, Doc. I’m suddenly more thankful for the legibility of the comments you put on our papers… :D

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.