A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

COMM 207, 150, 221: Bad photo crop!

I'm cross-posting this item to both of my blogs for mass comm. students ...

You'll see why. It's a casebook example of how not to crop a photo -- why you've really got to think about what it's going to look like in print.

Follow this link to Daily Kos, then scroll down till you see this tag, "Update on a completely unrelated matter -- here's a lesson in how NOT to set up a photo shoot if your name is 'Charlie Bass'," followed by the picture.

I don't know who Charlie Bass is, or what he's running for. But I've got to be sympathetic! [See below for update.]

Daily Kos, by the way, is a very partisan weblog for self-described progressive Democrats. Markos Moulitsas ZĂșniga, the blog administrator, is becoming a force in the Democratic Party, and it's considered a valuable networking tool especially for more liberal Democratic grass-roots activists. Here's what Wikipedia says about ZĂșniga, and the weblog.

Update. When I was watching Tuesday night's election returns several hours after posting this, I noticed a U.S. Rep. Charlie Bass, R-N.H., who lost his bid for re-election. Talk about adding insult to injury!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.