A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

The essence of every beauty ad [or shaving, or beer ...] you'll ever see on TV

Since I won't be teaching next semester, this may be the last post to The Mackerel Wrapper for a while. So, for my communications students -- and anybody else who surfs into the blog -- I'm linking to a sketch on advertising from the TV show That Mitchell and Webb Look on BBC television. It will keep longer than the previous items about a spring semester final paper that was due two weeks ago now.

Credit where it's due: I got it from comedian Rollie Williams, who posted it under the headline "Every Beauty Ad Ever In 58 Seconds" to Upworthy at http://www.upworthy.com/, a social media site that's heavily critical of the fluff in media, especially the Internet, and defines its mission like this: "Hi, we're Upworthy, a new social media outfit with a mission: to help people find important content that is as fun to share as a FAIL video of some idiot surfing off his roof." .

1 comment:

Doddy said...

Selain memenangkan pot hadiah, pemenang diberikan pintu masuk gratis di turnamen poker internet dengan uang tunai hadiah yang lebih tinggi ditambah urutan kemenangan ini dapat menjamin
asikqq
dewaqq
sumoqq
interqq
hobiqq
rajawaliqq
http://192.254.236.33/asikqq78/

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.