A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

COMM 353: Deadlines and due dates, expiration of grace period for Thurber paper

While we were putting Bulldog Bytes to bed, I've been quietly extending the deadline for your papers on James Thurber's "Years With Ross." I figured, as I said in class a couple of times, your time was better spent working on the magazine. Today, however, we're finished with the magazine. So that reasoning no longer holds, and the paper is now due at the beginning of class Thursday, May 19. Here are the new dates for the paper:
  • Papers that have been turned in to me by the beginning of class today will receive 10 extra points on top of the grade I assign for the paper.
  • Papers that are turned in by the beginning of class Thursday will receive the grade I assign them, with no points added or deducted.
  • Papers that are turned in by class on Tuesday, April 24, will have 10 points deducted from their grade.
  • Papers turned in by class Thursday, April 26, will have 20 points deducted.
  • Papers turned in by class Tuesday, May 1, will have 40 points deducted.
  • Papers turned in by class Thursday, May 3, will have 50 points deducted.
You should be aware that my patience with late papers is now exhausted. You can turn in the papers by emailing them to me and/or giving me the hard copy in class. Preferably both.

Due dates for final self-reflective essay. I hope to have an assignment sheet (or essay prompt) posted to the Mackerel Wrapper by class on Thursday, April 19, and the paper itself will be due on Thursday, May 1, the last day of class. As I said in class last week, the essay will be like a five- to eight-page version of "Question 2" on my final exams (which have been posted to the blog since 2006): What did you know about magazine editing before you took COMM 353? What did you learn? What do you know now? What surprised you? What did you get from the mix of theory and practice in the course? What can you take with you as you continue your careers as students, writers, editors and/or communications professionals?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.