A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

COMM 353: Rubrics ... ** UPDATED 04-03 **

I'm working up a rubric - a set of criteria for evaluating an assignment - for the outside readers of Bulldog Bytes, and I thought I'd show you the rubrics I'm working from. There are two that look especially useful:


  • For a magazine project at Sagemont School, a college prep school in suburban Miami.


  • For a graphic arts project developed by Aaron T. Kennedy, based on MidLink Magazine, a project of North Carolina State and the University of Central Florida
.Some others below at the bottom of this post, but they seem a little too high school-ish for our purposes, but I'll copy and paste the URLs below.

UPDATE (April 3): Here is an email I sent out this morning to people I'm asking to serve as jurors or outside readers:

Hi _____ -

Can you do me a big favor? I'm teaching an advanced seminar (COMM 353) this semester, and I need outside readers to evaluate a six- to eight-page magazine project the students are designing and editing. They're calling it "Bulldog Bytes"; they're focusing on physical fitness opportunities for Benedictine University Springfield students; and they plan to have a PDF file of the completed project ready by next week. I hope to have it to readers by the end of the week, and I need it back by April 24.

One component of their grade in the course will be an assessment of the completed magazine project by outside jurors (which is where you would come in, if you can do it). I am developing an informal rubric, which I can get to the jurors along with the PDF version of the magazine. I'll be asking jurors to consider things like whether the design and layout are attractive; the content is interesting and targeted to its intended audience of readers in the BenU-Springfield community; the articles are well written and observe the conventions of correct usage; the pictures and graphics enhance the story; and an overall judgment call of whether the product looks professional. I'm not asking the outside readers to grade the magazine (although you should feel free to recommend a grade if you wish), and I'm focusing on the product rather than the process as I develop the rubrics. I'm making a point designing everything so you won't have to spend more than a few minutes to look over the magazine, fill out the rubric and get it back to me by Tuesday, April 24, or thereabouts.

Please let me know if you can do this. And it goes without saying that if you can, I'll owe you one!


http://download.intel.com/education/Common/my/Resources/AP/plans/biographies/biographies_magazine_rubric.doc

http://www.morgan.k12.ga.us/mchs/Lisa_Adams/Autobiographical%20Magazine%20Project.doc

http://www.saskschools.ca/curr_content/modtasteofsask/extras/appendix/magazinerubric.pdf

http://mabryonline.org/blogs/kaplan/Rubric%20for%20Magazine%20Unit.doc

http://www2.brandonsd.mb.ca/crocus/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/CAA30S-Magazine-Layout-Rubric.pdf

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.