A weblog for Pete Ellertsen's mass communications students at Benedictine University Springfield.

Friday, January 30, 2009

All COMM classes: Wow ...

That's all I've got to say about Thursday's drama in state government. I'm still trying to absorb it. Here are some links:

I just checked the Office of the Governor's website at 7:30 Central time, and Gov. Pat Quinn has already changed the home page. Here's the text in full:
SPRINGFIELD – January 29, 2009. Former Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn has become the 41st Governor of the State of Illinois, having taken the Oath of Office at 5:40 p.m. on Thursday, January 29, 2009 The Oath of Office was administered by Illinois Supreme Court Justice Anne Burke in a brief ceremony in the Chamber of the Illinois House of Representatives.

"I pledge an open and fair state government worthy of being called the Land of Lincoln," Quinn said. "The people of Illinois have the right to expect integrity and diligence from their elected officials.”

On Thursday, the Illinois Senate convicted Governor Blagojevich on Articles of Impeachment the House passed earlier this month. Therefore, under Article V, Section 6 ( c ) of the Constitution of the State of Illinois, the Lt. Governor assumes all duties and powers of Governor.

"In the coming days, we will face some tough choices. I am confident that by working together we will meet these challenges to emerge a much stronger and vibrant state.”

Governor Quinn reminds Illinois citizens of President Abraham Lincoln’s immortal words: "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from this earth.”
But they haven't changed the HTML code yet. The page title (which shows up in the Google directory) still reads "State of Illinois - Rod Blagojevich, Governor." That detail, I predict, will get taken care of very soon.

[Later: At 1 p.m., I was still Googling up a directory showing the old page title, but when I pulled down "View Source," I got this:
<blockquote><html>
<head>
<title>State of Illinois - Pat Quinn, Governor</title>
So the problem is with Google rather than the Governor's Office. They just haven't updated the directory yet.]

The last quote, from Lincoln, is very characteristic of Quinn, by the way. So was his swearing-in speech in the House of Representatives chamber last night. I thought he said exactly what needed to be said, but ...

Full disclosure: I worked for Pat Quinn when he was state treasurer, and I like the guy. So I can't be entirely objective. Not yet.

Anyway, I liked the speech.

Here's the the swearing-in and bio story by Mark Brown of The Chicago Sun-Times. A columnist, Brown writes in his own voice and gives his own reaction. That's what columnists (and bloggers) do.

The Chicago Tribune has several stories on Quinn. Including today's editorial which suggests Quinn "could prove to be the man for the moment." It concludes, "Gov. Pat Quinn (who would've thunk it?) has a tough road ahead. Let's hope he has company on it." Giddy praise from a paper that never gave him the time of day -- or any page 1 coverage -- when I was working for him.

We'll look at The State Journal-Register in class, too.

[Later: We sure did! The J-R was giving away copies at the Qik N Ez station on North Grand, and the clerk gave me a bundle of 30 when I told her I teach journalism at SCI-Benedictine. Great for class discussion.]

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Springfield (Ill.), United States
I'm a retired English, journalism and cultural studies teacher at Springfield College in Illinois (acquired by Benedictine University and subsequently closed). I coordinate jam sessions for the "Clayville Pioneer Academy of Music" at Clayville Historic Site and the Prairieland Strings dulcimer club, and I sing in the choir and the contemporary praise team at Peace Lutheran Church in Springfield. On Hogfiddle I post links and video clips for our sessions and workshops on the mountain dulcimer (a.k.a. "hog fiddle"), as well as research notes on folklore and cultural studies, hymnody and traditional Anglo-Celtic and Scandinavian music. I also posted assignments and readings in my interdisciplinary humanities classes. The Mackerel Wrapper (now on hiatus), carried assignments and readings for my mass comm. students. I started teaching b/log when I chaired SCI-Benedictine's assessment committee, and reopened it as the privatization of public schools grew increasingly troubling and closer to home.